DpsTeck

Author Topic: Xerox Sold to Fuji  (Read 346 times)

AKA-Oldxeroid

Failed university of Slop-Jocks. Defeat and bypass skills not up to par !

exCSER

Re: Xerox Sold to Fuji
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »
Well that's sad.
Parc used to be a cool place to go. I had a few occasions while working for X in that area. When the 8200 was put into the field about 6 months earlier than planned (due to Kodak's new copier infiltrating the market), I installed one at Parc so they could study the operability. One of the 'wizards' there was very exited to show me the new 'mouse' that they had. Just another lost opportunity.

Darrell Starnes

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:25:13 AM »
OMG , I worked on 8200s in Dallas. I don't miss that machine at all with all of the wiring harness problems with the document Handler and the stapler. It was the absolute Tipping Point for me to move into printing systems

exCSER

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »
Don't mean to hijack this post, but here is a funny 8200 story.....The machine I installed at PARC was being studied by, among others, an anthropologist. She said that she was involved to determine  how the machine could be improved upon from a human interaction standpoint. They hooked the machine up so that they could make it jam from outside the room and with video cameras monitoring, they brought people in off the street, taught them how to run the machine, told them if it jams to follow the instructions on the flip cards mounted to the top cover to clear the jam, and then gave them documents to copy and left the room. They said that every person they did this to did the same thing: They started to run the job, had a paper jam (E10), opened the flip cards to the E10 paper jam tab and followed the first instruction which read 'open the top cover'. Upon opening the top cover, they then looked bewildered, because they didn't know what the next step was, because the flip cards were mounted to the top cover which they just opened, so they could not see them anymore. Brilliant engineering!! 

LaserGuy

• Forum master
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »
Back in the US,  reviewing some old posts,   feels like home.

Yes,  the 8200,  probably designed by the same idiot who did the 5400!!

Then,  insisted that there was nothing wrong with the machine,,  it was the service people.

Many of the 5400 customers were upgrades from the 4000,,  and the 4000 was commonly shoehorned into a closet.  Of course,  the 5400 upgrade was (somehow) jammed into the same space.
I was working in San Francisco,,  had some guy lecture me on the cost of square footage,  when I told him it would be impossible to install in that space.

He called my boss,  they sent over some guy on the short list for FSM,  and he managed,,  somehow.

Tears are filling my eyes as I type this,  Sweet Jesus,,, I'm glad I'm retired.