DpsTeck

Author Topic: washing PR belt  (Read 278 times)

mytkc

• Advanced Member
washing PR belt
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
so I've been doing this job for my whole life and just now found out about how to easily clean a freaking PR belt. you mix about 10% distilled mineral spirits with 90% film remover. the solution removes spots completely and quickly.I wish someone told me this trick 20 years ago! THANKS TOM!!!

Databar

Re: washing PR belt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
That doesn't damage the surface of the belt?

mytkc

• Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
I use terry towels from costco and isopropyl alcohol/mineral spirits mix and wash whole panels of the belt at once. the spots of toner dissolve much quicker, they seem to smear at first pass and disappear at second pass. maybe a little less than 10% mineral spirits. these belts are pretty tough. A tech I work with uses sharpie permanent markers and writes big numbers around the belt so when he prints a test page he can see exactly where all the spots are. the marker washes right off. and I've been using freaking q-tips all this time.   

Darrell Starnes

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
We do 7/8 and 1/8, yes much cheaper than the xerox spots cleaner at 40 dollars a bottle.
We use the 99.9 % alcohol, mineral spirits and webril pads.

exCSER

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »
I've been using 99% alcohol and webril pads for years without any trouble (unless I press too hard in which case the P/R can crack--Lesson learned). I'll try adding mineral spirits.
Thanks for the tip!

Nathanaels

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 03:11:55 AM »
We do 7/8 and 1/8, yes much cheaper than the xerox spots cleaner at 40 dollars a bottle.
We use the 99.9 % alcohol, mineral spirits and webril pads.

Thanks a lot for sharing. I never attempted this but I'll try now that I know what the pros do.